Defragment of Hard Drive

AVROMAN 20:36 31 Jul 2003

Can Anyone suggest a decent software for Defragging the hard drive. I currently use the one provided in Windows but it is like watching paint dry. I am looking for something a bit quicker so that I have time to do something else on my machine.

Lú-tzé 20:44 31 Jul 2003

Disk keeper lite seems to be bandied around here now and again.

Lú-tzé 20:44 31 Jul 2003

click here for info.

Ironman556 20:53 31 Jul 2003

I couldn't find disk keeper, maybe it was just me, but they don't make the free version easy to find.

If you can find the ME defrag it's a bit speedier than the one in 98, just paste it over.

Personally I leave Windows to defrag over night. A good trick to keep it speedy is to do it every other week, or at least once a month, most of the files havn't been fragmented then and it tends to skip large chunks of your drive that don't need doing.

john-232317 22:49 31 Jul 2003

Try here

click here

rupie 22:58 31 Jul 2003

Disk keeper is very good. I have used it for years. It is worth buying. Turn off all settings like screensaver and any other stuff that would cause the defrag to start again. Unfortunately defrag was not designed for people to sit and watch while it if working. May I recomend a book, the TV, or sleep instead

hugh-265156 02:24 01 Aug 2003

sorry for jumping on your thread i hope you dont mind,just a quick question.i have read a few postings were people say they run defrag once a week/month and leave it to defrag overnight or do something else for a few hours while its running.

i have a very boring 1.8 celeron running xp and my 40gig drive has around 20+ gigs used(mostly games and coverdisk junk) i defrag every other week or there abouts using xp`s built in jobby and the longest it ever takes is about 5-10 mins.

am i just lucky?

The Sack 02:38 01 Aug 2003

You cant be using XP then as its defrag is quite good.

If you are using 98 putting the ME defrag in can speed things up 10 fold

Mango Grummit 03:00 01 Aug 2003

Diskeeper Lite is OK and does exactly what it says on the tin, ie. it does not, and nor does it pretend to, carry out a complete and full defrag.

Ironman556 19:31 01 Aug 2003

Those things you suggested... I'd forgotten they exist! lol.

huggyg71

Sounds about right, XP is very speedy at defragging, unfortunately other versions of windows take a little longer.

paddyjack 19:49 01 Aug 2003

diskeeper lite very good. Go to the download section and you will find it there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone