DEFRAGGING VISTA TAKES HOURS

rotormota 07:15 14 Nov 2009

Hi,

I have used the Windows defragger up until now on a weekly basis but it didn't seem to be doing the job properly in as much that it would analyze & apparently defrag the main C drive in just a few minutes then conclude stating that 'the performance of the hd can be improved....'. I then tried DeFraggler which after a few hours displayed an error message stating that the program has to shut down. Now, I'm trying MyDefrag which is still defragging after about 13 hours.

Is this normal?

OS WVHP

Cheers,
J

Halmer 07:27 14 Nov 2009

yes

Input Overload 08:09 14 Nov 2009

I have about 800meg of used space on my PC and to defrag all 6 partitions takes about 20 mins. Have you tried a commercial defragger such as PerfectDisk on a 30 day trial.

It's about a 1000 times faster than anything else I've used. although at the moment I am using O&O Defrag, which has speeded up boot times. 13 hours though something is wrong & you cant be doing your HD(s) any good at all.

BTW to those starting typing I'm not geting into a discussion about the pro's & con's of using freeware against buying Perfect Disk or O&O Defrag. Please don't try to give me advice, this topic has been thrashed before, I've tried just about every defragger there is.

Input Overload 08:14 14 Nov 2009

P.S. You could try this click here it does a good job & is very fast and about the same price as a couple of pints & two bags of peanuts. I think there is a free trial. if I were you I would give this a try.

Ventad 10:53 14 Nov 2009

Try this free one click here I find it works a treat

AL47 10:57 14 Nov 2009

i use auslogics, gets good reviews and is free, ill start it up, see how long it takes

BRYNIT 11:09 14 Nov 2009

Is this Normal?

It depends on the size of hard drive and how much you have on this drive. The bigger the drive/files the longer it takes.

Have you dine a full scan of your hard drive for bad sector this could also cause problems when you defrag your drive. A full scan of a hard drive can take several hours.

AL47 11:46 14 Nov 2009

took about 30mins to do 200GB on a 500 GB hard drive

Blackadderthe4th 16:39 14 Nov 2009

in safe mode? This sounds a bit like when I was using win98!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?