Defragging on Vista

SweetBriar 14:09 02 Sep 2010

Hi, hope someone can help.

I've been trying to defrag my hard drive on Vistas for over a week. As there is no longer a graphical representation, I can't see whether it's actually doing it. I have set it to defrag overnight at least twice - like 7/8 hours, but it is still SAYING it's defragging in the morning!!! I can't help but think it's telling lies, but with no graphics I can't see what it's doing - if anything! Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Briar

gengiscant 14:29 02 Sep 2010

Try using this click here

recap 14:35 02 Sep 2010

Log in as Administrator and run a command “defrag -c -v”. This will defrag all the volumes on the system. A report will be generated when this is completed. There’s no progress bar, no indication of elapsed time, or remaining time. There’s no information on what files are fragmented, and how fragmented the hard disk is.

If you still want to see the progress of the defrag click here Auslogic defrag tool.

SweetBriar 14:39 02 Sep 2010

Thanks,folks I'll try that!

Cheers

Briar

The Kestrel 16:11 02 Sep 2010

I use this fee program from Auslogics frclick here it is very good and fast too.

The Kestrel 16:13 02 Sep 2010

Sorry, should read FREE, not fee!!!

Sea Urchin 16:14 02 Sep 2010

I see you are recapping what recap has already posted :@)

SweetBriar 21:15 02 Sep 2010

Thanks all, specially for pointing me at the Auslogic program - totally brill, sorted it in about an hour - as opposed to two nights when it was probably not doing anything anyway!! I do like the graphic presentation, it gives me some confidence that my computer is not lying to me - again!

Thanks again
cheeers

Briar

Joe G 22:05 02 Sep 2010

Just using it now - looks excellent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?