Defragging - huge blocks of red

fontenay 09:58 12 Mar 2007

I use Diskeeper Lite which has always been fine. However, for the last few weeks I have had three large blocks of red covering almost two lines which do not move. DL tells me there is 1 fragmented file - if so it must be huge.
I downloaded Obit Smart Defrag but that doesn't shift it either.
Does anyone have any idea why I can't get rid of this -indeed what possible files/files it can be?
I have used disk cleanup and CC cleaner - all to no avail.
OS is XP Professional.

Gongoozler 10:22 12 Mar 2007

Have you tried defragmenting in Safe Mode to minimise the number of files in use at the time of defragmenting?

fontenay 12:03 12 Mar 2007

No I haven't. I am a little unsure about doing it in Safe Mode - could you explain please?

Aspman 12:26 12 Mar 2007

Safe mode is a more basic instance of XP. It boots without all the drivers and widgets you normally have.

Sometimes these drivers and widgets can lock up files or folders when they are running preventing things like diskeeper from moving every file they might need too.

To run in Safe mode you need to press F8 at the right moment during boot. This is just after the BIOS loads and before Windows boots proper.

It's a bit of a black art to hit this at the right point so it might take a couple of goes.

When you get it the screen will provide a few options one of which will be 'Safe Mode'.

When you boot in safe mode the screen will look different (because of the lack of drivers) but it's nothing to worry about. You then try to run the defragmenter.

VoG II 12:28 12 Mar 2007

There is a less hit-and-miss method for starting in Safe Mode click here

Gongoozler 12:29 12 Mar 2007

To get into the Windows XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold the F8 Key which should bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Use the arrow keys to move to Safe Mode and press the Enter key. click here

In Safe Mode, the screen will be in the very low resolution VGA mode with "Safe mode" displayed in the corners. Don't worry about this, it's just because no drivers will have been loaded. After rebooting in normal mode you may find that the desktop icons have been moved around to fit into the Safe Mode screen.

Legolas 12:32 12 Mar 2007

Nice one VoG™

fontenay 12:59 12 Mar 2007

Thank you all for the instruction. Unfortunately when I got into Safe Mode and tried to run Diskeeper I received the message: 'Unable to connect to the Diskeeper service on the selected machine. Connecting to local diskeeper service.....'
Then nothing at all happened.

Snec 13:09 12 Mar 2007

You cannot run Diskeeper in Safe Mode. If In were you I'd try the windows defragger in Safe Mode.

Batch 13:46 12 Mar 2007

Have you tried the Windows defragger at all (even without going to safe mode)?

In the Start Menu it's under Accessories / System Tools.

birdface 14:58 12 Mar 2007

Hi got this from Skidsy, Excelant program,Also does a defrag,1 months free trial,Use it once and you will want to keep it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?