Defragging

blazingbadger 10:51 23 Apr 2009

What is the recomended time span before a defrag

provider 2 11:03 23 Apr 2009

Up to you, really, depending on how much installing/ uninstalling, updating, photo editing, deleting and a whole host of other stuff has been going on.

One advantage of the once a month reime, though, is that you get into the habit of regular maintenance, which means the defrag doesn`t take forever, as it seems to do if you leave it too long.

Graphicool1 11:11 23 Apr 2009

Here's a good one far faster and superior than Windows defrag, it's free...
click here

Graphicool1 11:13 23 Apr 2009

It's produced by the same people who make Ccleaner. You can't get a better recommendation than that!

provider 2 11:47 23 Apr 2009

Graphicoll 1,

Interesting, but most of the time I don`t have a clue as to which files need to be defragged and which don`t and I`m am quite content to trundle off and do something else while the XP version goes about its leisurly business.

Some problems with the Piriform one, apparently: click here

OTT_Buzzard 12:00 23 Apr 2009

click here

Ultimatedefrag is my weapon of choice for defrags!

provider 2 12:13 23 Apr 2009

I`ve been reading (some of) the 12 (!) pages of suggestions in the Defraggler forum, some of them going on at great length about how to improve this defragger, which is fine since there are almost no hostle or aggressive comments, but a bit predictable too, for many are suggesting things available in other, paid-for programs (epecially DiscKeeper).

mooly 12:25 23 Apr 2009

If it's Vista use this,

Defragmenting HDD using command line prompt. Note insert spaces correctly.
1. Right click command line prompt and run as administrator.
2. Type, defrag c: -a -v to generate detailed file report.
3. Type, defrag c: -v -r to run the defragmentation routine.(note this only defrags files> 64MB)
4. Type, defrag c: -v -w to defragment all file sizes.
5. Type, defrag c: -b to defragment boot files.
6. Type, defrag -? To display information help page.

DieSse 12:29 23 Apr 2009

Defragging is highly overrated and for typical users will produce little or no change in performance.

Bear in mind that program files, once defragged will stay that way. I recommend once every 3 to 6 months is more than enough - and the standard Windows defrag sufficient for most.

Most third party defraggers use the windows API to do their defragging anyway.

mooly 12:43 23 Apr 2009

I agree DieSse. Never see more than 2 or 3 % fragmentation, usually nearer 1%. I usually defrag every 3 months or so.
It would be interesting for Vista users to run "option 2" in my list above and see what the level of fragmentation actually is. It's safe to do... it's a built in Vista tool... and takes around 3 to 5 mins to complete the report.

DieSse 12:48 23 Apr 2009

Also bear in mind that the NTFS default cluster size is 4KB - so any file smaller than that (most Word docs for instance) cannot get fragmented, as they reside in a single cluster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?