defrag should I backup first?

derbytrader 12:50 22 May 2003

I like this forum caper - you guys are great. I've been reading about defragging and wonder whether I ought to do so since I've had my PC 4 years. Question is should I back anything up beforehand ie could defragging foul up anything if it goes wrong. Given that I backup once a millenium what would be best to backup as I normally just backup family photos. Thanks

Djohn 12:55 22 May 2003

A defrag of your hard drive will be perfectly safe, without the need for a back-up. But having said that, you should have a back-up of all your files for safety reasons anyway.

If you have not done a defrag for four years, you should notice a significant performance increase in your system. :o)

it makes more sense to defrag before you back up,

and back up everything, and i would recommend making it your religion to do both things at least once a week. before defragging trawl through everything and delete all the old files you dont want and uninstal those old programs you never use,

defragging can be temperimental with (98 but you are unlikely to lose any data.

Giggle n' Bits 12:58 22 May 2003

regular back-ups on a weekly basis is always good practise.

Defrag rearranges all them files/clusters etc on the HDD and puts them in the correct place. Other pepole may explain the defrag a bit more in depth or differently to me.

Back up your work making 2 coppies of each. Either using floppies, CD Wrtr, Iomega Zip drives. You didn't mention which Windows you use.

Defragmenting will not break or loose any system files.

derbytrader 13:04 22 May 2003

is there any surefire way of listing all applications loaded onto my PC - I have been a sucker for all sorts of freebies from magazines etc and probably couldn't list what has been loaded?

Paranoid Android 13:24 22 May 2003

Start with your Add/Remove programs list in Control Panel - uninstall anything you don't need. Manually remove any remnants from the program files foler.

Then check the startup tab in MSConfig and check the list of pragrams that start with windows. Untick to prevent programs starting that you don't need. You can put the ticks back if you make a mistake. This is particularly useful if you have loads of stuff in your system tray.

Also clean any unwanted startup program from the Satrtup menu in the Start Menu. These are only shortcuts.

Then restart your system.

Next look for directories in the Program Files folder in windows explorer - look for any programs that are not listed in Add/Remove Programs. This may include older 16bit programs that do not use an uninstall string.

Check out all your temp folders.

Finally, many shareware programs create their own folders in the root directory, so look for these too.

Marvin

anchor 13:47 22 May 2003

You will probably find this to be faster than the Windows defragger; & its free!.

Download it here:

click here

derbytrader 15:35 22 May 2003

Guess I'll a) start backing up a little more often and b) give this defrag business a whirl - looking forward to things speeding up somewhat!

expertec 09:48 23 May 2003

If you don't know all the things you've got on your computer, you should run Spybot click here if you haven't already got it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?