Defrag query

Garb 14:47 28 Dec 2009

I'm using Piriform defraggler on my C drive (143 Gb and 49GB free space) I have run it several times and can't get the fragmentation below 60%. I run it on my other hard drives which store mainly video and music files and I can get them down to almost zero fragmentation. I close the defragger down after it has completed a cycle (about 30 hrs) and when I reopen it there are about 50% more fragmented files that when I just closed it. Any ideas what's happening?

Garb

sunnystaines 14:52 28 Dec 2009

run in safe mode

always close any running programs.

i use this free defrag i consider it better

jkdefrag aka mydefrag
click here

gigagiggles 05:53 29 Dec 2009

use ccleaner (free). run the program, BUT NOT the cleaner. run the program, BUT NOT the cleaner.

on the left hand side are four icons. select tools. its tab will show three options. select system restore. it just collects and displays info on the number of system restores there are on your pc.

IF there are a good handful of entries, that may likely explain the defraggler's report. these system restores aren't defragmentable.

IF you wish to continue to use ccleaner, make sure to look at every default options that are checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?