Defrag Issue?

CJ12 19:21 12 Nov 2007

I am not able to defrag anymore it says I have only 4% free space when I need 15% saying I should delete some files to free up space so I did dick clean up deleting cookies and tep internet files also deleted a load of pic's and vid's then tried again but got same message so tried to defrag anyway and got total red background with a few white lines and blue lines and green lines mut mainly red and it will only defrag a few, anyone I ask has never come accross this issue so I tried restore but was not able to go as far back as I wanted (Sept 07) had to keep trying to near end of Oct then this took about 2hrs to do. My Internet is running quite quickly but PC takes a long time to start up & shut down also every now & then I get a loud buzzing noise as something tries to happen with the floppy drive I have no idea why as I rarely use it ... any ideas suggestions would be most welcome please. Im a bit of a novice so bear with me.
Thanks in advance

Totally-braindead 19:24 12 Nov 2007

Can I ask how much free space you now have on your hard drive. You say you had 4% and deleted a lot of files so what have you got now?

sinbads 19:37 12 Nov 2007

You could turn off system restore reboot and turn back on this would free up space on your hard drive;but you will loose all restore points then try and defrag

sinbads 19:47 12 Nov 2007

ps
you can dissable your floppy by going into your device manager and select disable

CJ12 21:54 12 Nov 2007

I still have 4% it says when I just tried it again now

brundle 22:07 12 Nov 2007

Find out what is using most of the space (but don't go deleting things without checking first).
click here

Download, run, click Open, click the C: drive.

CJ12 00:21 13 Nov 2007

Brundle
Thank you I followed your instructions it told me to use a new link as the one you gave me was too old I did this and did the scan I sussed out what to do and now have 70% clear space and defrag is working as all that mass of red is gone now. The impression I get (as a novice) is that the thing using up most of the space was RegCure which I bought a few months ago wish Id waited and spent my money on this tool you recomended Thanks again Just hope I havent deleted anything I shouldnt have but it did stop me deleting a few things so hopefully all will be well now.

brundle 19:56 13 Nov 2007

I should have mentioned the old free version still works just as well as the newer one(s). Glad you're sorted.

CJ12 20:23 13 Nov 2007

Well though all the red blocks have gone it still will not defrag totally I have now found so dont know why that is ...???
thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?