To defrag? if so, how often?

researcher 18:16 26 Feb 2003

Nothing crucial perhaps, but how often should one defrag?

When the the disk defrag check says to do so - or more often?

Is there any danger in defragging too often, e.g. like loosing data or corrupting files?

MAJ 18:25 26 Feb 2003

It depends on what you do with your computer. If you install and uninstall a lot of programs and files, then you'll need to defrag more often than if you didn't. Run a defrag every week or so, it'll take less time to complete a defrag, if you keep it regular. I haven't noticed any negative effects from defragging often.

spikeychris 18:26 26 Feb 2003

Your either using XP or 2K I take it. It depends what you do with your machine, if your constantly moving files, system restoring, deleting programs, adding programs etc: then you would need to defrag more than someone who just sends the odd email etc:

Theres never a correct answer for this kind of question.

There is a thought that defragging will slow your machine down....

Chris

obbit 18:27 26 Feb 2003

thats when i do it. i always do a scan disk with automatically fix errors enabled first.

AudioVic' 18:29 26 Feb 2003

I personally do not agree with defragging.

About every 6 months I back up my user files and format my drive.

This is I feel the best way and safest way to defrag.

I have used defrag to my dismay when Apps, etc., cannot locate files and/or folders.

I will be very interested in the responses to my answer.

powerless 18:37 26 Feb 2003

With my old machine i used to DEFRAG my 3GB hard drive once a day, scandisc and antivirus...

Order of the day, Scandisc, Antivirus, Defrag...

Scandisk took 2 or so mins, Antivirus 15 mins and defrag 10 mins.

No prbolems what so ever...

My new machine 120GB checkdisc, Antivirus, Defrag once a week...However once a month or even once every 3 months would be ok.

I sometimes DEFRAG when i have installed a large application, computer game for example.

My opinion is defrag is a very good program, it has a useful purpose and should be used once in a while.

A Pound of Sausages 19:49 26 Feb 2003

I've never noticed any difference after defragmenting.

« Ravin » 19:58 26 Feb 2003

i think more along the lines of AudioVic' but not quie so extreme!

i actually find that defragging slows things down so do it once every 2 months if i can be bothered.

i think for a regular user on a moderately new system once a month should be fine.

but no harm in defeagging everyday either.

« Ravin » 20:01 26 Feb 2003

don't mean to interrupt but on the other hand does formatting the hard disk too often cause any negative effects?

duplo 20:06 26 Feb 2003

I only defrag my drive when I notice it slows, it is a little faster once it is done.

Every one has different ideas of when to do this, although I recon its best done after installing programs, or a months normal use.

DieSse 22:02 26 Feb 2003

What you have to remember is, that programs, once defragmented, cannot become fragmented again. So fragmentation can only build up on data, and a few system files that need to be rewritten frequently. Also many data files are small enough to fit within a single cluster - so cannot fragment at all.

For average users - 3-6 months is ample IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?