Defrag and CHKDSK check problem

spuds 10:40 16 Apr 2006

Computer running XP Home.NTFS.

On start-up of computer I sometimes get a blue screen with a CHKDSK check.The computer then completes a consistency check, and corrects any problems. This morning after such an incident, I decided to do a spring clean of the computer. Checking on the defragment analise, I was informed that this process could not be done, and a run of 'chkdsk/f' was required (again!).Yet the computer seems to be working fine, after this first initial chkdsk correction.

Can you please enlighten me as to the reason why I have the above problem, and what is the solution and remedy to the problem!.

spuds 11:29 16 Apr 2006

>>Bump<<

hzhzhz 12:24 16 Apr 2006

I had a similar problem. I fiddled around in the registry which didn't seem to cure it. Anyway as far as I can remember I ended up downloading Diskeeperlite, started in safe mode, ran chkdsk then started windows normally and diskeeperlite ran fine and has done ever since. Sorry if thats a bit vague. Diskeeperlite replaces the normal defrag so I assume my normal defrag still does not work but Diskeeperlite is fine so really it doesn't matter.

ACOLYTE 12:30 16 Apr 2006

You could try setting an error check yourself by opening my computer rightclick your hard drive goto the tools tab and click the checknow button,
also tick the fix file system error box it will then tell you it cant do it now and will run on next reboot,so restart and let it run hopfully this will stop it from running again and u can defrag your drive.

JYPX 22:23 16 Apr 2006

Do you by any chance have Spyware Doctor 3.5 installed on your machine?

spuds 11:25 17 Apr 2006

Thanks guys for the response, looking into the suggestions later today.

JYPX-- Tried the trial version scan via PCA, and it found 138(?) problems. This programme is no longer associated on my computer.

JYPX 14:00 17 Apr 2006

Ok. It's not going to be that then. If anyone else is interested a google search of CHKDSK + spyware doctor will reveal that some people have had a problem with CHKDSK and Defrag when using version 3.5. The problem appears to be resolved by downloading the new version of spyware doctor (3.8).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone