Defaulting the C Drive

snowy30 01:58 22 Oct 2007

Hi. I am writing about a problem on behalf of my nephew, he's in China for a year. He had trouble with his laptop, he had no start button and no task bar besides other problems.

He took it to a chinese tech and they loaded an english version of Windows XP Pro onto his external F Drive. He is running out of space on the F drive - he has only 250MB on it. The F drive has become the default drive now that the new windows has been reloaded on to it, and he would like the C drive to become the default. I

Is there anyway he can make the C drive default?

Acx 02:04 22 Oct 2007

Dont think so, with-out reinstlling XP to the c: drive.

Acx 02:15 22 Oct 2007

If he does do this, there should be no reason his external F drive shouldn’t be recognised by the new XP instalation, then he should be able to copy over his work/photos etc.

Andy1991 13:55 22 Oct 2007

go to START > right click "My Computer" > CLick Manage > ON the left browse to "Storage" > "Disk Management", now right click C: at the top, and mark it as the Active Partition.

DieSse 14:29 22 Oct 2007

"If he does do this, there should be no reason his external F drive shouldn’t be recognised by the new XP instalation, then he should be able to copy over his work/photos etc."

That's correct - he can do that.

snowy30 01:06 23 Oct 2007

Thanx for your replies everyone.

Andy, I went through that procedure on my computer, not setting my back up Recovery D drive active of course but wasnt quite sure if it was possible and if it would work on his computer.

Andy1991 19:55 24 Oct 2007

it is possible, the active drive describe the drive that the computer tries to start up from. normally ur C: drive as that is where windows for veryone is normally installed. :-) its better than reinstalling windows.

Quiet Life 22:56 24 Oct 2007

It is interesting that the Chinese have loaded a working version of XP on an external drive.
XP is designed not to run on an external drive although it can be modifiied to work from an external drive.
If there is no information needing to be saved on C drive you could clone f drive to C drive using XXclone and make it bootable. XXclone is free but does erase everything on the target drive

snowy30 18:42 10 Nov 2007

I told me nephew what you suggested but he says 'Active' is greyed out - either that or it's just not there.

snowy30 01:47 16 Nov 2007

After cloning the drive will it be safe to delete or uninstall windows xp from the external drive?

And what should he copy, the registry?

DieSse 08:52 16 Nov 2007

"After cloning the drive will it be safe to delete or uninstall windows xp from the external drive?"

If the cloned drive works successfully - then yes the external drive can be used for other things, as normal. -give it a thorough checkout before he does the deletion - and check with the external drive is disconnected when doing so.

"And what should he copy, the registry?"

A cloned drive doesn't need anything else, it's a complete and useable copy of the original.- I don't understand what you're trying to ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache