Default setting on Vista Business

redvet 07:43 07 Oct 2008

There appear to be 3 options for default settings - Microsoft, Non-Microsoft and Custom.
Mine is set to custom but I am not aware that I have customised any settings and when I use the Microsoft settings I can still access as normal.
Could some more knowledgeable member enlighten me please on use of these settings or should I just leave well alone.

Pineman100 18:43 07 Oct 2008

Judging by the lack of ressponses to your question, others are finding it as difficult to understand as I do (but then I don't run Vista).

What settings do you mean? Can you explain in more detail where they crop up?

redvet 21:35 07 Oct 2008

Not to worry, maybe its just too basic to warrant a response but it does say 'absolute beginners'and trying to raise my inadequate knowledge. Anyway here goes. When I click the Start symbol /default progs / set program access and computer defaults the 3 options mentioned in the first post appear and mine has custom ticked. Just wanted to know what the difference is. Thanks anyway for your response.

Pineman100 11:26 08 Oct 2008

OK, I've looked on my wife's computer (which runs Vista).

This function sets the default programs for activities like email, web browsing, etc. and it also sets whether the programs are accessible from the desktop, etc.

For example, if you run more than one web browser (maybe Internet Explorer and Firefox) this function allows you to specify which of them will always launch automatically when you click a web link.

Provided you're happy with the settings, there's no need to change them, or to concern yourself about them.

redvet 14:47 08 Oct 2008

very many thanks for taking the time, much appreciated. will close post as resolved now.

Pineman100 15:56 08 Oct 2008

You forgot to tick and click Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie