Dedicated photograph printer.

1936 00:03 17 Oct 2014

My wife forgot that she had asked me to buy her a colour photograph printer so I did as well but the question has arisen again. I currently have a Canon Pixma iP6000D colour printer and it is giving rubbish results. This may be because it’s used very irregularly and maybe it gets clogged up, I don't know. My wife wants instant copies of colour photographs when grandchildren have visited so it’s time again to start looking for one. I think that my wife would like to print standard 6X4 if that is indeed standard. I have no idea about the qualities, performance or running costs of such machines and I know not a thing about Laser, Ink Jet or dye sub printer differences so could anyone please offer me some advice on these different types and more importantly, what printer should I aim for.

spuds 10:34 17 Oct 2014

If you are not sure, then a read of this might help click here

john bunyan 14:57 17 Oct 2014

Having a look at the specification of your existing machine Canon, I suspect the problem lies with events before printing - your machine should give excellent results. However I have just bought a Canon Pixma 6450, with 5 inks, and it is good at about £80 (includes wi fi, scanner, etc). A few questions: a) what camera resolution? b) What photo software? c) are you using correct photo printing paper? d) have you run a cleaning cycle on the printer and done a test print? e)What print setting (dpi) are you using?

When I have downloaded my pictures to the PC, I convert them to 7" x 5", landscape at 300 dpi. I then print 2 to an A4 page, by having a blank document at 300 dpi and putting the photos on it one above the other.

For home use an ink jet is easiest and best, I think, and most come combined with a scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?