Dedicated graphics - best performance?

geedad 10:33 21 Feb 2010

Are dedicated graphics - best performance for movie authoring, reliability and stability?
Anyone using a PC with these, and what make?
-- price?
geedad

GaT7 18:22 21 Feb 2010

You don't really need any fancy graphics card for your usage. But if dealing with HD content, then cards that support related software features can help to speed things up.

I believe the technologies are called CUDA click here;filter=Video%20&%20Audio & PureVideo click here for Nvidia-based cards. And Stream click here & Avivo click here for ATI-based ones.

Of course, a fast processor & good amount of RAM are the main ingredients. So I would try to get the fastest CPU & most RAM (up to a limit) I could afford, rather than being too concerned about the GPU. I wouldn't spend more than £50 for this - would consider something like a NVidia 9500GT / ATI HD4650. Or even the newest ATI HD5450 for a similar price would do. G

GaT7 18:24 21 Feb 2010

The CUDA link I meant to post was with Audio & Video ticked lower down. G

MAT ALAN 18:30 21 Feb 2010

would consider something like a NVidia 9500GT

seriously would not, it is probably the worst 9 series card they ever made, stay away...

GaT7 18:51 21 Feb 2010

MAT ALAN, you're talking about games. It's perfectly fine for video/movie stuff.

You missed my first line, which was 'You don't really need any fancy graphics card for your usage.' G

MAT ALAN 18:55 21 Feb 2010

The all round performance is donkeyesque, the ATI's are a much better card...

geedad 13:17 22 Feb 2010

Crossbow7
MAT ALAN
Thanks for your replies.All very useful. I have a Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading, and an ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics card with 128MB DDR SDRAM, so although it is a good reliable spec, sometimes when authoring, freezing and juddering takes place.
I myself suspect that my (C) partitioned drive is a bit overloaded with apps, although my target drive is always the (D) partition, where I have much more space.
I have been looking at the new i3, i5 and i7 computers, but of course, these come at a price.
Thanks again to you both.
geedad

GaT7 13:31 22 Feb 2010

"...sometimes when authoring, freezing and juddering takes place."

That could be happening on account of your spec & low amount of system RAM - not your graphics card.

"Radeon 9200 Graphics card with 128MB DDR SDRAM"

Oops, that looks like an AGP card. If yes, then none of my suggestions will do. You'd do better to get a better PC than to upgrade this. Increasing system RAM might help, but I think a new PC may be in order.

"I have been looking at the new i3, i5 and i7 computers, but of course, these come at a price."

If you want the best for your kind of usage, then an i7 is the way to go.

"I myself suspect that my (C) partitioned drive is a bit overloaded with apps,"

Slowdowns start at around the 50% full & over mark. But I would blame your overall spec for the problems you're having. Single-core P4s have had their day some years ago, but are just not up to today's computing demands. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache