Dedicated graphic card?

Daibus 14:02 12 Feb 2006

I'm sorry to ask this, what maybe a basic question.

Does the quality of a dedicated graphic card (or lack of) have any other effect on the working of a Notebook PC apart from gaming, which I do not really go in for, but would still not want to sacrifice the quality of videos or photos for example. The cost of Notebooks that contain a high spec graphic card can sometimes be more expensive and was wondering if this option is so important for me?

Cheers.

SG Atlantis® 14:05 12 Feb 2006

you've basically answered it yourself. The only thing which you couldn't do is play games.

Just try and get at least 512mb RAM.

Diodorus Siculus 14:06 12 Feb 2006

Onboard graphics is fine if suficent (128mb) RAM can be allocated to it.

Daibus 14:10 12 Feb 2006

Thank you for your reply but would a low spec graphic card or shared memory have a detrimental effect on the quality of video, photos or graphics on a website for example?

Many thanks.

SG Atlantis® 14:18 12 Feb 2006

no not IMO.

But what happens is onboard graphics takes a chunk of system RAM, so if the system says 64mb onboard graphics amd 256mb RAM. The 64mb will come out of the system RAM leaving you with 192mb to run your applications which isn't enough for XP.

Diodorus Siculus recommends looking at onboard graphics with upto 128mb shared and I suggest you get at least 512mb RAM so that you have enough RAM left.

You'll be fine, with on board graphics but you won't be able to play games. My dad's laptop has onboard graphics and I can't tell any difference in performance watching video and stuff, it just won't play games.

hope that helps.

Daibus 14:26 12 Feb 2006

Many thanks to you both for your answers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?