A decent firewire card

lonemascot 23:45 09 May 2006

I was looking at this
click here
but i was a bit put off by one of the reviews. is it woth getting anyway or is it something i should steer well clear of?

what is this M5271 Freeze problem?

Totally-braindead 23:52 09 May 2006

Haven't heard of this problem but if you are concerned try another make click here the Novatech one doesn't mention what make it is and unfortunatly they only seem to have the Novatech ones in stock also these people have them click here NEC chipset 4 port card on sale at £9.95 with software.

Totally-braindead 23:53 09 May 2006

Should have said I can't personally recommend any one in particular as my PC has firewire built in as did my old one and I've never had to buy a firewire card.

lonemascot 00:01 10 May 2006

whats the internal firewire/usb ports for, i cant think of a use?

Totally-braindead 08:42 10 May 2006

What do you mean? USB ports are for connecting anything that uses USB such as printers, scanners MP3 players etc etc. Firewire is the same but the only devices I have seen myself that connect using firewire rather than USB 2.0 are video cameras and some external hard drives. Internal ones are the ones on the case that are mounted on the motherboard, is that what you are asking?
My motherboard has 6 USB 2.0 ports and one firewire port built into it, internally, theres no need for me to buy a firewire card.
Sorry if this doesn't answer what you're asking but I don't really understand what you mean.

keef66 12:52 10 May 2006

My pc is 5 years old, so the mobo doesn't include all the ports you get nowadays. No firewire, no lan, and just two usb 1.0 ports. I have a firewire socket on the audigy sound card, and I have added a network card
I've also added a usb 2.0 expansion card which provides 2 ports at the back of the pc, but it also has a third port inside the pc. I'm also baffled about it's possible use, unless it's possible to wire it up to a front panel connector? Front panel connectors usually have plugs to attach to mobo headers though, not to usb female sockets. Anyone know of one which does??

keef66 12:58 10 May 2006

My usb card is a Belkin and has been working splendidly for 4 months with Ipods and PSP's.

Prior to that I'd tried an Ebuyer 4 port card, but had to RMA it because it never worked properly, and the first Belkin card was fried by teenage son plugging in his Ipod during bootup. (PC wouldn't boot at all until I removed the card!) Belkin replaced it without question under their lifetime warranty.

On that basis I'd recommend avoiding the suspiciously cheap stuff and go with something like Belkin.

keef66 13:00 10 May 2006

The useless Ebuyer card had an ALI chipset; Belkin's different, but I can't remember what

Totally-braindead 13:44 10 May 2006

Have you changed your name or is this a different person?

keef66 15:20 10 May 2006

No, I'm somebody else! I'm not trying ti hijack lonemascot's thread, just offering advice to him and explaining the internal ports on pci cards for you

Totally-braindead 17:57 10 May 2006

Oh right its just when you started asking about the your card I thought perhaps lonemascot had changed his name and was explaining what he had, regarding your question I have no idea keef66 but if you have no manual/instructions then you probably will get them either on the Belkin site or by emailing them and they should be able to tell you about the connector you're querying.

I'm still lost about what you are asking lonemascot I've explained what I think you are asking if not please clarify.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?