Dealing with Virus spreaders?

1936 16:40 17 Jan 2006

I regularly receive E-Mails from people/Organisations I do not recognise with attachments and a message saying something like. "Your File" or "Please open this file"
Having used this forum for some time I understand that the best way to deal with items that are suspect is never to open such attachments and to delete them. I use an Anti Virus Program and a firewall and hope that I am safe but I have five questions:
1. Surely there must be something that can be done about these scum such as turning their virus onto them or publicising the address they sent the spurious E-Mail from?
2. Is there any point in forwarding dodgy looking E-Mails to ones ISP and suggesting that they check it out.
3. Surely what Virus spreaders are doing is unlawful and if so is there any point in forwarding dodgy E-Mails to the Police?
4. I am a loss as to why people spread viruses, are they perverts, mentally unstable or what?
5. Is there any central organisation that deals with these things?

PaulB2005 16:43 17 Jan 2006

1. They are probably using an innocent persons address or the person sending it to you is unaware they have the virus. Also most addresses are faked now. Even if you did send the virus back to a sender then you'd be as bad as them...

2. Some. It helps them tune their Spam Filters.

3. Maybe. No point - see 1

4. To spread Political messages, install software on your PC so they can use it for their own use, notoriety of the "underground", capture information from your PC. Loads of reasons...

5. No.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone