dead pixels

Drazpaz 00:14 23 May 2004

i have just bought an iiyama monitor and am dismayed to find dead pixels. What is their policy on dead pixels?

Thanks

Charence 00:33 23 May 2004

Below are the number of allowable defected pixels on a monitor of specified resolution.

1024x768 - 2 defects

1280x1024 - 3 defects

1600x1200 - 4 defects

2048x1536 - 6 defects

Unfortunately, LCD technology is still not good enough to guarantee defect free screens which is why you cannot buy large 40" LCD screens. click here for more details.

I also have a problem with my LCD monitor. It's incredibly annnoying because it doesn't have dead pixels, a small insect has gotten itself stuck in between the protective layer and pixel layer of the screen and its died their so it won't move back out. Any ideas if I could get it out?

Charence

SANTOS7 00:35 23 May 2004

click here all answers here

Djohn 02:48 23 May 2004

If you have bought it via a website then you may be able to return it under the distance selling rules. This is only a guess though and if you do, don't mention the pixels. Check your invoice to see if you are allowed to return an unwanted item within this time period.

If you buy from a shop then ask for a demo before purchase. It's a lot of money to lay out to then find a fault that the manufacturers class as acceptable.

It's time that we the consumer stopped accepting faulty pixels even if it means paying a little more in the first place. I know we want to buy at the lowest price we can but when you turn that monitor on for the first time and see faulty pixels it must be so disheartening.

The shop I bought mine from was only too pleased to check it out for me and Staples stores are willing to do the same, but if you buy from Staples without checking and find a fault when you get home [Any fault] just take it back for an exchange or refund. Their policy on this is excellent.

spuds 16:59 23 May 2004

As a layperson, you may find the policy on dead pixels varies between manufacturers. The trade standard which most manufacturers use is ISO 13406-2, but this document is confusing and full of jargon, according to the Trading Standards consumer affairs representative Carol Brady.

Manufacturers tolerances vary between manufacturers: Viewsonic have a zero tolerance,Fujitsu Siemans allow one full pixel, Iiyama follow industry standards and Samsung would not comment.

If you purchase on-line, and you find any dead pixels, trading standards suggest that you send the monitor back under the terms of the Distant Selling Regulations. If you purchase from a store, then request that the monitor is tested before you except the item.

The above condensed abridged version was taken from the latest copy of Computer Active magazine, issue 163. International Standards Organisation [ISO] click here

961 17:20 23 May 2004

If I had just bought it, I would return it under the distance selling regulations, because it would send me bananas if I had to look at dead pixels for the next few years. I think you have 7 days after receipt

You don't need any reason to return so long as you contact the supplier, get a return number if required and, probably, pay the cost of return

I'm still infavour of CRT, not only for this reason but also because I think, overall, they give a better result. I accept they don't look so up to the minute but then, I don't get to look round the back much

Rayuk 18:18 23 May 2004

Before you go any further it may be a sub pixel problem not dead pixels.
You can try various ways to solve the problem.
Get a cotton bud or the cloth for cleaning specs and gently rub in a circular fashion around the pixel.
or
Try running a fast moving game for a while this sometimes does the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?