dead pc - upgrade?

staples printer cartridge 23:05 18 Jun 2007

Yesterday my pc died during browsing with a whiff of burning. I disconnected the PSU (480W)as the most likely candidate and connected an old 300W one to the mobo (with RAM) and a HDD. Result? The CPU fan turned for about 1-2 seconds and then off again - no n oises, nothing else? Does this suggest my mobo is dead too? The real question is do I now upgrade from AMD 64 3700 to Intel and Core 2 Duo? I am worried that I replace the mobo only to find the cpu has gone and have to replace that too and as I would be thinking about an upgrade at the end of the year..... Any opinions gratefully received.
Tom

skidzy 23:16 18 Jun 2007

looks like the mobo has died.

Maybe consider buying a bundle click here

Extremely good company,dealt with them a few times now and only last week bought a xbox 360 delivered the following day.In my opinion and many others....very very good service.

If you want to upgrade,let us know your budget.

Strawballs 00:28 19 Jun 2007

Nothing but praise for Novatech used both online and in person

Totally-braindead 09:24 19 Jun 2007

You can't do what you ask anyway. You mention upgrading to a dual core Intel and say you are concerned that you would replace the mobo and find the processor is gone. You can't do that if you are moving from AMD to Intel as the socket for the processors are different. Therefore when you got a new board, presuming you went to Intel you couldn't use the AMD processor anyway as it wouldn't fit. Same goes if you kept the motherboard and bought a Intel processor.
If you want to go to an Intel setup you need a new board and processor.

Trackrat 09:35 19 Jun 2007

Totally-braindead, I think he means will buying a new board for the AMD processor be a waste of time if the Processor is dead.

Also, it is not nescesscarily a dead motherboard, is the 300watt PSU capable of powering what you are trying.

Can you try the processor in another computer?.

keef66 10:18 19 Jun 2007

Can you try the 480w psu in a working pc also?

Any sign of blown capacitors or anything else suspicious on your mobo?

My pc is a socket A / AGP 4x board with an Athlon XP 2100+ cpu and 184 pin DDR memory. When I have looked at upgrading, Core 2 Duo is clearly the way to go, but I find it can easily get more expensive than buying a new base unit!

Core 2 Duo means a PCI-express mobo, which means I'd need a new graphics card. It would also necessitate new DDRII RAM. My PSU lacks some of the connectors for a PCI-ecpress board, so I probably need to replace that too. I have 2 HDD's and 2 optical drives, all with IDE connectors. SATA has largely replaced IDE; I'm struggling to find a core 2 Duo board with 2 IDE connectors, so I might also be looking at new SATA hard disks. Oh, and I'd need a new case since I hate the one I've got at the moment.

You might be luckier having a more recent system, but I'd be better off with a shiny new box!

bjh 10:18 19 Jun 2007

I would suggest stripping the motherboard down, and reassembling, first with the minimum components (CPU, memory, GPU, boot drive), and see if the PSU can power it. SOMETHING has obviously gone, and the burning smell suggests it may be permanent. If the fan span for a few seconds, it's unlikely to be as simple as that, and either the CPU, or motherboard, or both seem most likely. Both is unlikely. With the motherboard out, can you see any black marks, or any melted areas?

Look up the beep codes for your bios
click here might help.

It's worth a go, even if it doesn't give a positive result, you'll have practice for building your new machine.

keef66 10:18 19 Jun 2007

Can you try the 480w psu in a working pc also?

Any sign of blown capacitors or anything else suspicious on your mobo?

My pc is a socket A / AGP 4x board with an Athlon XP 2100+ cpu and 184 pin DDR memory. When I have looked at upgrading, Core 2 Duo is clearly the way to go, but I find it can easily get more expensive than buying a new base unit!

Core 2 Duo means a PCI-express mobo, which means I'd need a new graphics card. It would also necessitate new DDRII RAM. My PSU lacks some of the connectors for a PCI-ecpress board, so I probably need to replace that too. I have 2 HDD's and 2 optical drives, all with IDE connectors. SATA has largely replaced IDE; I'm struggling to find a core 2 Duo board with 2 IDE connectors, so I might also be looking at new SATA hard disks. Oh, and I'd need a new case since I hate the one I've got at the moment.

You might be luckier having a more recent system, but I'd be better off with a shiny new box!

Gongoozler 10:22 19 Jun 2007

The safest, easiest and possibly ultimately the cheapest solution is a motherboard bundle as suggested by skidzy. It's very difficult to distinguish between a dead motherboard and a dead processor, and there's always the possibility that if either is defunct it will damage the other. The Novatech bundles are tested as a unit so you know that it will work when you fit it into your computer. The last time I fitted one of these bundles into a computer I had it running within 30 minutes of the parcel being delivered. The method I use in this situation is to initially start the computer without any drives or unnecessary expansion cards to avoid other possible problems distracting me from the unit I am testing.

staples printer cartridge 18:35 19 Jun 2007

Trackrat - that is exactly what I meant thanks. With regard to the 300W PSU, it was connected to the mobo with 4 sticks of RAM and an IDE drive - is 300W not enought for that or would you need more details?

keef66 - if nothing else has gone, I have PCI-express and SATA drives so a new box isn't that tempting. The PSU gave nothing at all no even the very brief fan activity so that has gone back under warranty; I guess I have to wait for it's return to start finding out what else has gone.

bjh - I have stripped the mobo down to RAM and CPU, but have yet to remove it from the case, which I will try tonight and have a good look.

Thanks for all your help guys. I am a bit limited in testing the cpu, mobo in other computers so may have to suck it and see or just cut my losses and go Intel.

staples printer cartridge 18:37 19 Jun 2007

thanks for the link to beep codes will try when I get a new PSU but at the minute I get no sound at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?