Dead PC - power is on

sneakerman 10:27 31 May 2009

I switched on my PC today and it won't boot up. Power light on the front of tower case stays amber (I think it is normally green). I can open/close the CD tray (I tried to boot a Linux live CD), the HD is spinning and I can detect some disk head activity right after I press the on switch. The moniter initially powers up, shows a normal 'cable is disconnected warning and then powers down again (I am guessing but the cable disconnected warning is really saying the (integrated) graphics card is not yet online). Green led on mobo is on. The only thing I have noticed which I think is strange is that the PSU fan is not on, I thought it was always on.

I am thinking that swapping out the PSU is my first step - any ideas?

birdface 10:36 31 May 2009

PSU looks Fav for the problem.I would start there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:50 31 May 2009

TRy disconnecting DVD drives to reduce PSU load, sounds as if PSU is failing.

sneakerman 11:25 31 May 2009

Turns out my alternative power supply doesn't have SATA power connectors and the PC has a SATA HD, but I have discovered another strange problem, the power switch on the front of the PC doesn't always work, the switch has a good audible click but I guess that doesn't mean a lot.

Is the PSU fan controlled by the small connector plugged into the motherboard? Is it normally on all the time? I thought it was but I cannot remember exactly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:36 31 May 2009

PSU an is normally on whenever PC is switched unless there is heat controller built into the PSU but you only get that on the expensive ones.

woodchip 13:51 31 May 2009

If its the switch, you can try take the left side off tower trace the wires from Switch at front to bottom corner of motherboard look for the two Power Pins touch these with a flat blade screwdriver both at the same time to fire up the Computer. Only 5 volts dc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone