dead PC

Daveboy1976 22:32 02 May 2004

If a motherboard or CPU is knackered, would a PC boot up at all. Would PSU fan or heatsynch fan spin?

woodchip 22:43 02 May 2004

Sorry but it's a case of trial and error when they are like that. If you had a multimeter and new how to use it you could test for volts at the MOBO plug from the PSU from the back of the plug, while it switched on and connected to mobo.

PS they are all low volts in the Comp. only 240V in power supply back of the plug would read on the pins any where from +5 to +12 or -5 to -12 volts

It's a lot easier on a bench

billyliv 00:32 03 May 2004

Hi, If your board is as you say -------, your machine will not boot. If your CPU is as you say--------, It would possibly boot and then close down. Fans will only spin if power is getting to them through your PSU. That doesn't mean your system is OK. More info please. Cheers, Bill

Daveboy1976 14:58 03 May 2004

I have got the fans spinning now. slight oversight on my part was the power switch on the wrong pins.... I have the problem now that all the fans spin, the LED on my Asus P4T mobo is lighting up but I have no response from the monitor. Someone has suggested popping the battery out next to make sure that it has not been configures for a PCI card or anything. I have a radeon 9200 acrd that works in my other PC so Im guessing either bios problem or mobo again.
Doh!

cheers

woodchip 15:04 03 May 2004

If this is a new build you should start with minimum config i.e. One stick memory in slot 0 or 1, Graphics Card, and CPU with fan attached. it should boot to a does screen if set to defaults. You may have jumpers or dip switches on the motherboard that you need to se for the CPU and memory check manual

woodchip 15:04 03 May 2004

If this is a new build you should start with minimum config i.e. One stick memory in slot 0 or 1, Graphics Card, and CPU with fan attached. it should boot to a does screen if set to defaults. You may have jumpers or dip switches on the motherboard that you need to see for the CPU and memory check manual

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017