Dead Motherboard HP Laptop

dogbreath1 10:19 22 Oct 2010

Have just been told that the motherboard on my HP (Vista) laptop has given up the ghost. Is it possible to recover the content of the hard drive without a large amount of trouble or expense?

Press Man 10:34 22 Oct 2010

Should be relativly easy to remove the hard drive. You could then put it in a 2.5" caddy which you can get from PCW for around £15 then it can be connected to another PC as an external drive and hopfully you can recover your data. I am sure others will help/comment if there are easier ways?

onthelimit 11:02 22 Oct 2010

I use a cable like this click here to connect all sorts of HDDs to my PC for data retrieval.

woodchip 11:35 22 Oct 2010

i bought laptop caddy from computer fair £4

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:02 22 Oct 2010

Whane you have it in a caddy you may need to "Take ownership .." of the files before you can access them in windows

1. Click the Start button.

2. Click All Programs.

3. Go into Accessories.

4. Right-click on Command Prompt.

5. Select Run as administrator.

6. When the UAC Prompt appears, click Continue.

Once you have your elevated command prompt, follow these steps:

For our example, we are going to use the Bubbles screensaver file (Bubbles.scr)

1. At the command prompt, input takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\windows\system32\Bubbles.scr).

2. Press Enter on the keyboard.

3. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

4. Now input icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f (icacls c:\windows\system32\Bubbles.scr /grant shamanstears:f).

5. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

You will now be able to modify or replace the file. When you are done, simply remove the permissions to keep the file secure.

dogbreath1 17:12 22 Oct 2010

A local PC repair chap has placed the HDD in a mini caddy for which he charged a total of £10.

Not sure whether this is relevant, but the machine that will be used to access that drive will either be a laptop or PC both of which run Windows XP.

Got a cable with three ends. Chap says a PC will need the double end connecting to it to provide enough juice to run the drive.

onthelimit 17:20 22 Oct 2010

I expect he means two USB connections - I have an external DVD drive that needs the same thing. The lead I mentioned earlier has a mains adaptor, so power supply is no problem.

onthelimit 17:21 22 Oct 2010

Operation system of the machine you plug into is irrelevant.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 22 Oct 2010

"Operation system of the machine you plug into is irrelevant."

not quite

you may still need to take ownership of the files to do this in XP
Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

onthelimit 17:46 22 Oct 2010

...I've done this several times, but have had no problem in simply transferring the desired files from external drive to my own. However, I now know what to do if it doesn't seem to be working!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 22 Oct 2010

You need to take ownership if the files are from a windows "profile" where a password has been set an you are attempting to look at them from another windows "profile"
:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?