Dead Laptop

alansabout 14:29 08 Jan 2006

Hi all, my wife's Compaq presario 2100 has suddenly died all that happens is you get the Compaq splash screen and all goes blank I am unable to get into the bios nor will it boot from floppy or CD, the best I can get is entering setup and then it just hangs. I have tried to boot using a different keyboard and mouse , even removing the hard drive, I suspect a motherboard problem. What do you think is it worth repairing and if so what next?

Gongoozler 14:36 08 Jan 2006

I think the first thing to try is resetting the CMOS by using the reset link or removing the battery for a few minutes, whichever is the more accessible.

alansabout 14:56 08 Jan 2006

Hello Gongoozler, thanks for the quick reply I have tried the reset link to no avail. Think I will strip it down to get to the motherboard?? see if something is loose.

woodchip 15:20 08 Jan 2006

Have you tried Laptop just on Mains? remove the battery

alansabout 15:54 08 Jan 2006

Thanks woodchip yes I have tried that.

woodchip 16:37 08 Jan 2006

Try taking the Hard Drive out then Refit

alansabout 16:45 08 Jan 2006

Also done that thanks, the only thing left that I can think of is replace the CMOS battery as Gongoozler suggested, I have had the thing in bits but am unable to find one.

woodchip 16:45 08 Jan 2006

Or take the Hard Drive out then see if it will boot to BIOS. If it does you know you have a faulty drive

woodchip 16:49 08 Jan 2006

CMOS battery may be soldered in not disc type

woodchip 16:54 08 Jan 2006

also try different ram strip

alansabout 17:06 08 Jan 2006

I have tried that alsothanks. I will have another look for the battery although I am not to sure if that is the prob whenever I have had a battery fail on me I have always been able to get into the bios and also boot from a floppy, I fear the worst.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des LĂ©gendes en ligne ?