Dead Hard Drive

Gordon Comstock 00:17 25 Oct 2004

My ma's PC was throwing up error messages and there was loud clicking coming from the tower.

It then rebooted but would not go beyond the initial start-up, saying:'no boot device found'.

Tried to reinstall XP but it said there were no hard drives detected.

Doesn't take Sherlock to deduce the HD is knackered.

If I install a new HD I assume you can partition and format it by booting from the XP CD?

I don't use XP, is it best to partition using NTFS on an XP machine?

Also is it worth setting up the duff drive as a slave to see if I can salvage any data from it before binning it, using a recovery tool?

Or was that ominous clicking sound indicative of a complete mechanical failure?

Strawballs 00:23 25 Oct 2004

NTFS is the prefered choice with XP, yes you can boot straight from installation disk and it won't hurt to try putting the dead drive as slave you have nothing to loose and potentially something to gain if you have importent data on it.

JonnyTub 00:37 25 Oct 2004

Stawball's is absolutely correct, although bear in mind that if the system doesn't boot with the old hd in and throws up error messages, you can garauntee it's knackered.

xania 09:00 25 Oct 2004

Be warned that some systems will not recognise the master HDD if there's a faulty slave attached as well. If this happens, all youneed do is detach the slave and the master will then be recognised. Otherwise I'm with Strawballs and JonnyTub.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017