dead desktop pc!!!

mad1234 12:58 25 Sep 2006

i have a friend who's desktop is completely dead. his son told him it made a funny noise then switched off & now there is nothing
i have tried a different power supply in & nothing.
is there any way to bypass the on/off button on the front of the tower to check to see if thats the problem.
also if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem might be i would be grateful

Belatucadrus 14:41 25 Sep 2006

When you say there is nothing, is the PC completely dead or does it at least try to boot before shutting itself down ?

mad1234 14:49 25 Sep 2006

absolutly nothing
no lights, no fans nothing
completely dead as a dodo
infact a dodo has more life in it!

BigRik 16:23 25 Sep 2006

If trying a new PSU didn't work, it could be the motherboard needs replacing.

Diemmess 16:35 25 Sep 2006

"is there any way to bypass the on/off button on the front of the tower to check to see if thats the problem"

If you can open the box (main switch off at wall)
Trace the wires from the front panel to the motherboard. Pull off this 2 wire connector at the motherboard.
Now switch on at the wall again and momentarily short just the 2 pins which you have exposed, using say a suitably shaped screwdriver. (If nervous about the shaft contacting something else as well you can mask the sides of the s/driver temporarily with sticky tape)

It is a low voltage circuit which is "made" when the switch is depressed and normally locks the PSU on until toggled by another press.

If the computer boots up as normally, then it is a faulty switch, but these seldom give any bother in a very long life, and I'm not hopeful.

mad1234 16:37 25 Sep 2006

that is a possibility but i wanted to rule out the power button before going for a new motherboard but i don't know how to bypass the power button

mad1234 16:40 25 Sep 2006

thanks Diemmess
i must learn to type faster
i will try that & let you know

Storik 17:43 25 Sep 2006

"Now switch on at the wall again and momentarily short just the 2 pins which you have exposed, using say a suitably shaped screwdriver."

I have a peculiar shaped jumper with a long tag on it that I use just for this purpose. It's a useful tip - common sense tips from you as usual. :-)

mad1234:

There are a number of things that can cause a PC to be "dead" - graphics cards, memory modules and a number of other things. Now this is where you start tearing you hair out - 'cos it's a process of elimination. :-) - Why not try this?

1) Remove all cards from the expansion slots - you should get an error beep when the graphics card is removed - the others don't really matter for now. If you get an error beep, try with just the graphics card on its own.

2) Try a new memory module on its own.

3) Try a new graphics card - doesn't have to be "new" but any known working graphics card.

If there are signs of "life" from the computer, doing one of the above - it could possibly one of the cards causing the problem. I had a sound card that "killed" my computer - but once removed, like Lazerus, it returned from the dead. :-)

If none of the above work - you could check you CPU, by removing it and checking the underneath for "scorch" marks - if none, reseat it with sufficient gel between that and the heatsink.

Hope you get it fixed! I've just got out of "you-know-where" after being reduced to a gibbering idiot with one PC - so the best of British! :-)

Storic

mad1234 21:22 25 Sep 2006

thanks for the advice i will try that tomorrow
will let you know how it goes

daxian 21:28 25 Sep 2006

hi mad1234...
it is possible it might be the fuse in the plug lead...simple to try first!!!

mad1234 21:54 25 Sep 2006

that was the first thing i checked
i even used a different lead & checked that on another pc just to be sure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone