Dead Computer

Vitamin M 14:30 03 Jan 2008

I was upgrading my mate with more RAM, new Graphics Card and a better sound card... for his computer...

All went in well untill the power up.

Its a really really really old machine, with dust in most unreachable places.

After i turned the computer on, i smelt burning then straight away the fan switched off. I quickly removed the power supply.

Apon inspecting where the Burning smell came from i found it was the RAM stick. with several of the metal prongs burnt.

I sawpped the RAM back to what it was before, but everything was dead. No bleeping, no fan, no lights, no nothing. I took the RAM out and tried hoping for at least a beep. but still nothing.

As of yet i still havent got power to the machine. I know power goes to the machine as when u put RAM into the slots and turn it on, there is again a faint smell of burning.

1) is the burnt RAM screwed...? will it work again?

2) how do i restore power?

3) how will i know if the RAM Slot, Motherboard or anything else is fried?

Many Thanks

woodchip 14:37 03 Jan 2008

You could try some Switch cleaner in the Ram slots this can be had from Maplins. But it may have destroyed the Motherboard

ExBocks 15:07 03 Jan 2008

smells like burnt out ram and mobo! this could have completely killed the mobo ram cpu and gpu!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?