De-fragment/how often? & does it speed up PC?

dune3 15:25 11 Jun 2007

Hello PC elite, how often do I need to de-fragment my PC, & will it speed up my PC? Also is there a freeware programme around which I can download like PC speedup/tuneup, so I can use it whenever my PC starts running slow.

Jackcoms 15:29 11 Jun 2007

"how often do I need to de-fragment my PC"

Entirely up to you. I do it once a week.

"will it speed up my PC?"

Marginally, yes.

"a freeware programme around which I can download like PC speedup/tuneup, so I can use it whenever my PC starts running slow"

click here

birdface 15:39 11 Jun 2007

Try this Optimizer, click here this will clean all the rubbish off your computer it also has a Defrag on it,It only clears 10 items at a time,but you can run it as often as you like,Will your computer run faster, Yes,

Stuartli 15:48 11 Jun 2007

IOBit SmartDefrag not only defrags when you require, but can also be set to run in the background automatically defragging - hence the name. See:

click here

Stuartli 15:49 11 Jun 2007

It's freeware.

birdface 16:12 11 Jun 2007

Winaso,I should have said to download the trial version,works for a year I Think.

Terry Brown 16:22 11 Jun 2007

it all depends, I do a lot of Video work, and with 2 * 160gb drives, I still need to defrag every few days.
A lot depends on the size of your hard drive(s). larger drives need less defragging than smaller drives, and how much you load, copy,move,edit your software.
I find the best option is when fragmentation gets to about 20%, I run defrag.
Terry

wrg 17:46 11 Jun 2007

Stuartli

Sorry to ask potentialy one of the most stupid questions but if IOBit is running in the background whilst you are using the computer does that not slow it down?

Stuartli 17:52 11 Jun 2007

Bo.

Stuartli 17:53 11 Jun 2007

No.

Stuarti - Surely any program running, even in the background uses some system resource and must slow
overall machine speed down .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?