.dds extension

kevc 17:59 16 Mar 2003

what does this mean?
I have downloaded a demo from nvidia and after the download was expexting to see in the programmes list an entry for this demo. It just keeps saying that it cannot play this file type. I have tried to play in windows media player, real player and quick time without success. Help

DieSse 18:05 16 Mar 2003

A .dds file from nVidia is probably a direct draw file from DirectX. I wouldn't have thought you shuld be trying to run such a file on it's own. What demo are you trying?

kevc 18:09 16 Mar 2003

demo called dawn pixie in a forest. I have bought a geforce graphics card and we have downloaded this demo to see how it performs

Trickydickie 18:10 16 Mar 2003

What you seem to have downloaded is a patch for the game Battlefield 1942.
I looks like the .exe file that you downloaded has expanded to create this .dds file, which is a 'Battlefield 1942 Unit/Object Texture File' according to the site click here

kevc 18:13 16 Mar 2003

we have been to the nvidia home page and this demo is listed at the foot of the page but does not say it is an add on

cycoze 20:33 16 Mar 2003

The download should be called DAWN.exe and 72mb in size , was this the case ?

On the homepage its listed near the bottom under "top Five Downloads" click on that and a new page opens up with a link for a streaming video and a link to download the demo .

cycoze 20:36 16 Mar 2003

The demo would install on your computer , you would not need another program to run/view it .

Media players or plugins would only be needed to view the streaming video.

DieSse 21:41 16 Mar 2003

I've just tried it - and it's as cycoze said - it should be downloaded on your system as Dawn.exe - and it should install directly from that file - then be available as a program to run. It is full of .dds files - which are just part of the graphics in it. You might have had problems running it if your version of DirectX was out of date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?