DD-WRT router setup trouble (Buffalo WZR-G144)

ascanio1 06:35 14 Jan 2014

My Internet access is fibre optics, via an ISP Modem, then via an ISP Router (used as simple switch passthrough) and then there is my Asus AC66U Router broadcasting 2 networks:

A) 2.4GHz 802.11n only

B) 5GHz 802.11n only

From the Asus Router there is an ethernet cable to my Buffalo WZR-G144 (DD-WRT) Router which is broadcasting 1 network:

C) 2.4GHz 802.11g only

Clients can access flawlessly networks A & B but cannot access network C.

Internet access from the Asus via ethernet works perfectly as I tested it with my laptop.

I did a 30/30/30 reset on the Buffalo Router DD-WRT but nothing changed. I still cannot get clients to access the C network which is clearly visible.

Setup is as follows: >Operating Mode: Gateway

>Connection Type: Automatic Configuration DHCP

> STP: Disable

> MTU: Manual (1492)

> DHCP Type: Server

> DHCP Server: Enable

> Wireless Mode: AP

> Wireless Network: G only

> Security Mode: WPA2 Personal / AES

> Authentication Type: Automatic

> Basic Rate: Default

> Mimo Transmission Fixed Rate: Auto

> Transmission Fixed Rate: Auto

> CTS Protection Mode: Auto

> Frame Burst: Disable

> Afterburner: Disable

> Bluetooth Coexistence Mode: Disable

I would appreciate if someone could help me to correct these settings. Thanks!

ascanio1 06:37 14 Jan 2014

I forgot to mention that I wish to use the Buffalo WZR-G144 (DD-WRT) as an AP. Again, thanks for your help!

m0hxt12 18:27 14 Jan 2014

why are you using you isp router can you not just plug the cat cable from you isp modem to your ASUS AC66u??

ascanio1 02:41 15 Jan 2014

I can't because:

• my telephone line is VoIP and the line out is from that router;
  • router firmware is in Japanese and I can't undestant anything;
  • it is only wired.
  • I can't change its position and its not possible to lay other cables.

Heading

Just FYI: 3 networks are necessary because:

• Some clients operate only on 802.11g 2.4GHz (Internet Radio, Baby monitor, etc);
  • Some clients operate only on 802.11n 2.4GHz (Kids Skype, torrents downloading fullHD movies, playing video games);
  • Some clients operate on all plus 802.11n 5GHz (to watch VUDU/Netflix FullHD movies while kids and wife are streaming, skyping, downloading movies and playing video games)

Heading

I would appreciate if you could offer me help in line with my help request and not suggestions to modify the setup/desired layout as it is constrained for a number of reasons too complicated to list here but in short: Kids, wife interior decor, no restructuring of home allowed, old building construction, terrible electrical wiring, stupid neighbours, clients distances from routers, etc... I can't lay cables and Powerline failed because of old electrical wiring system which is not masked (anyone switches on a hairdryer and my VUDU movie starts flickering! I don't want things to work across a LAN but a WLAN because my wife won't let me lay cables and restructuring my home to watch a movie is out of the question.

These are the situation constraints that cannot be changed:

• can't use powerline
  • can't lay cables
  • 802.11g and 802.11n cannot be on the same radio to retain maximum throughput.

Heading

And must have:

• 802.11n 5GHz
  • 802.11n 2.4GHz
  • 802.11g 2.4GHz

In the near future, must have also 802.11a/c 2.4GHz + 5GHz

Can you please help me set up the Buffalo Router as a Wireless AP on 802.11g only?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?