DCOM - what is it?

minter 22:00 11 Feb 2004

My "Error Log" has dozens of errors recorded. There is one in particular that makes up about 90% of the cases.

It is recorded as -

Source: DCOM

Description: DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server: {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9 144-00104BA11C5E)

Anyone got any ideas what DCOM is and what the description is trying to tell me. Besides the fact that I am a duffer!!

Gemma 22:10 11 Feb 2004

Distributed Component Object Model is a protocol that enables software components to communicate directly over a network. In this case it looks like some process is trying to run a CD ROM burner as a server. Are you running XP or W2000? If so check what is being loaded at boot time that needs a CD burner and kill it.

Djohn 22:17 11 Feb 2004

click here for a description of DECOM and click here for tech. info. Not sure what the actual code you have is referring to though.

This will at least give you something to look at until someone comes up with the exact answer to the problem. j.

Djohn 22:18 11 Feb 2004

I forgot to refresh before posting. :o(

keenan 22:22 11 Feb 2004

From click here

Ever since Windows 98, a powerful, but unnecessary and rarely used facility known as DCOM (Distributed Component Object Model) has been an integral part of Windows. The DCOMbobulator checks the effectiveness of Microsoft's security patches and allows the user to increase the security of their system by simply turning DCOM off.

You can test your system's DCOM vulnerability

click here

keenan 22:25 11 Feb 2004

'Same here' !

minter 22:35 11 Feb 2004

Thanks folks.

Have followed keenan's advice and am giving DCOMbobulator a try.

Glad to see everyone is wide awake - 25 minutes and sorted!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone