dazzle tv stick-cpu overload?

tommyb113 10:59 23 Feb 2009

i have installed a dazzle e330 tv stick. this has been updated with all necessary drivers/updates. the pinnacle supplied software scanned my system and reported that it was fully capable to watch and record tv.(ie memory,cpu speed,usb2 etc).tv reception is excellent via rooftop aerial.the problems arise when trying to record direct to dvd or to the hard drive.a process called videoloader.exe pushes cpu usage to 98/99%. At this point the pc freezes and the only way out is a reboot. Any material recorded(very little managed, is jerky in playback)
1.is the pinnacle scan giving me false hope?
2.would a standalone graphics card help or hinder the situation?
comments appreciated
syystem details, xp pro sp2,athlon 64 4200+ 2.5ghz,1gb ram,nvidia 6150 onboard graphics,256mb supporting mpeg2 decode acceleration,usb2 enhanced,hard drive 50m.b.s write, 30 m.b.s.read(as scanned by pinnacle software)

Technotiger 15:24 23 Feb 2009

A dedicated graphics card could only be an improvement over on-board graphics.

Also make sure that you have the latest XP Codec pack installed. (Find it with a quick Google).

Technotiger 15:25 23 Feb 2009

PS - doubling your RAM would also help.

tommyb113 02:53 24 Feb 2009

many thanks for your response, which was very helpful and will certainly investigatre.
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?