Days of work deleted

  coolteentom 19:40 09 Apr 2004


Somehow I have lost the contents of a really important document, which was about a page long, and is now saved as completely blank. I am desperate to get it back. Can anyone help me???

The document is called 'Public Health', which is completely blank. There is a backup copy, which Microsoft Word made called '~$blic health'.

Is there any chance that this could contain the older copy?

(When I try to open it, it says that 'Word cannot import the specified format.This feature is not installed). I do not have the Office CD at the minute, but will get it if I need it.


  ZEROTOLERANCE 19:55 09 Apr 2004

yes it should do get your cd & you should be fine

  GANDALF <|:-)> 19:56 09 Apr 2004

click here should dig it out and it is free.


  sattman 20:35 09 Apr 2004

It would appear that the file you found is the file you require.

Not sure of my full facts here but someone will correct me and maybe the solution is much easier

Somehow you need to change the first three letter of the file vack to pub I have done this many times in the past to get a file back that has been deleted from a disk, usually only first letter had changed

If you can get a dos programme that will allow you to edit and change name of file.

  coolteentom 21:07 09 Apr 2004

Thanks for all your replies.

The recovery file only contains about 3 lines worth of coding (with the sqaure characters and jumbled up letters).

Would this be enough for a whole page of writing??


  woodchip 21:15 09 Apr 2004

Do not be put of by the code that you can see. Try to restore it

  Litlun 22:12 09 Apr 2004

Did not Gandalf's Handy Recovery tip work?

  coolteentom 10:59 10 Apr 2004

I have tried the Handy Recovery program, but it seems that it will only find files that have actually been deleted, rather than changed.

I will try and get the Office CD, so that I can open the restored file.

Thanks for all your help.

  coolteentom 12:26 11 Apr 2004

I have found a few .TMP files that were deleted around the time I was working on the document. They have names like:

~WRL1344 , ~WRL2588 , ~WRD3635 etc.

However I cannot find a program to open them with.

Is there anything I can do with these?



  VoG II 12:27 11 Apr 2004

Those are probably "scraps" from Word. You could try opening them in Notepad.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 16:57 11 Apr 2004

Only a guess but did you have autosave enabled?


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017