Date/Time and autorepair / diagnosing loop

AngelaPenton 12:25 20 Apr 2014

Hi - did some updates on windows 8 on pc now pc won't start - I checked the battery (this is full) and corrected date in bios settings but then it goes into the loop of a blank screen and a windows symbol with a message stating it is preparing automatic repair then diagnosing repair - it did this for hours last night so I turned it off and it did the same this morning - (Pressed delete button to check date in bios and it hadn't changed the date to today) and is back on the automatic/diagnosing repair loop. Any advice welcome or is my pc beyond repair?

onthelimit1 13:08 20 Apr 2014

Probably best to Reset Laptop. Some advice here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:20 20 Apr 2014

Turn on your PC and repeatedly tap SHIFT+F8 before the Windows 8 logo is seen on screen.

Alternatively, plug in your Windows 8 USB thumb drive or insert the DVD and enter the setup.

Go to Repair your PC right the installer’s welcome screen

From the recovery environment, click on “Troubleshoot”.

Go to the Advanced options and try both the “System Restore” and “Automatic Repair” settings.

If you’ve created an image, you could try the “System Image Recovery” setting:

If your Windows system is damaged beyond repair and you did not create an image,

First try Refresh your PC setting.

This will back up your Windows 8 apps, settings and files and then perform a complete reinstall and restore. You’ll end up back in your known Windows 8 environment, and all there is to do is reinstall your applications.

If the damage is serious enough that makes the PC Refresh fail, a complete Reset might be needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017