Database required

Jak_1 18:50 19 Jan 2009

What I am looking for is a database to enable me to catalogue my large photo colection. Ideally the database would be able to support thumbnails of my photo'sas well as being able to cross reference under various categories and also be able to accomodate short captions.
Any help would be appreciated if anyone knows of a database that fits the bill or comes close to fitting the bill.

shellship 18:53 19 Jan 2009

I suspect that MS Access would do it. Very powerful but a long learning curve.

Jak_1 18:57 19 Jan 2009

Thanks, I do have Access. As you say it is powerful but a tad unweildy. I used to have a really good purpose designed photodatabase but it was writen for windows 3.11 and it has never been upgraded unfortunately.

alB 19:07 19 Jan 2009

Have you tried Picasa, click here Not a database as such but it does do some of the things you want ...alB

MAJ 19:16 19 Jan 2009

iMatch maybe, Jak_1? click here

Woolwell 19:18 19 Jan 2009

There are programs that allow you add tags to photos and sort by tags, date taken, etc. Serif Photo Suite may be suitable click here
but the Serif AlbumPlus is possibly more suitable click here.

You can often get older versions of Serif products very cheaply and even free.

Jak_1 19:44 19 Jan 2009

Many thanks for all your suggestions, I will now take a look at them. Hopefuly one of them will be able to at least get me up and running so to speak.

grumpy-git 23:39 30 Jan 2009

ACDsee Pro 2.5 is what I use. Think I have over 100,000 photos catalogued on it. Also use it for editing my photos. May not be as clever as PhotoShop or whatever, but is better than Paint Shop Pro 7 which is what I used to use.

g-g

Danoh 23:43 30 Jan 2009

I'd go with the Picassa suggestion as well as it's specifically aimed at what you say you wish to achieve.
A database such as Access is a generic solution which you will have to work at to arrive at a similar goal - a good intellectual IT exercise but one that will suck up your spare time away from photos...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?