Data transfer - old hdd to new hdd?

TonyV 19:26 08 Feb 2008

There is a way of transferring data from an old machine to a new one, using a DATA transfer cable and the Windows Files and Settings Wizard. My problem is, do I have to have both computers set up including two monitors? Or can I just set up the old one with out the Monitor?

The new base unit didn't come with a monitor, obviously, so I only have one, but wondered whether it is still possible to transfer the DATA from the old to the new and does a split screen come up on the recipient machine that shows the old and the new file structures?

Thanks

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 08 Feb 2008

Forget the data transfer cable.

Connect monitor to old PC
Just use Files and settings transfer wizard to create a file onto a pen drive (or to your HDD then burn to CD)
connect monitor to new PC
Run Files and settings transfer wizard on the new PC
and point it to the location of your file (CD or pen drive).

TonyV 20:05 08 Feb 2008

Thanks for that, but my problem is that I already did burn the greater majority of files I wanted to transfer, however, due to the time it took between delivery of the new machine and me setting that one up, there are a number of files that have now been modified/added to the old machine. I was just looking for a quick fix without the need to re-set up the old machine.

It looks as though I may well have to go that route any way!

Cheers

TonyV

Jibey 22:05 16 Mar 2008

Does anyone have any experience of using Laplink's file transfer facility to move stuff from one computer to a new one.

Is there any other solution that would help in setting up a new PC?

MAJ 22:08 16 Mar 2008

It would be better if you start your own thread, that way you will receive notice of any replies.

wobbler 10:30 17 Mar 2008

I sourced a cable on ebay that allows any type of hddd, sata ide or laptop to be connected to a USB port, its brilliant and makes file transfer a doddle.. Its called a USB to SATA IDE Cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?