Data Transfer Freezes

lehrrb 20:55 20 Sep 2003

After a few minutes surfing on the internet, the little icon of the two monitors in the lower right of my screen near the clock, stop flashing and go dark. I double click them and get the connection box and see that the numbers for Bytes sent and Bytes received have stopped changing and going back to the current page, nothing works -- everything is frozen. What I usually have to do is close the connection and reconnect to my server, but after a few minutes, the same condition repeats. Does anyone know what I can do about this? I have asked several people, but no one seems to know about this. I would appreciate any help with this annoying problem.

skeletal 21:41 20 Sep 2003

The simple answer is that you have lost the internet connection, or your computer thinks it has. Why is much harder! It could be any number of faults in your system: modem/drivers/poor phone connections (waggle the plugs at the back of the computer and in the wall phone socket), or the ISP, or noise on the phone line (need to contact your phone provider).

To be honest, I think internet connections overal are pretty poor (stand by for some debate on that one!). I have good days and bad, connection speeds between 28k and 44k, dropped connections etc! It's bad at the moment because I suspect the systems are being bombarded with the new virus (I'm losing count now, but I am approaching 100 infected emails and others on this site are reporting similar).

Try to determine the fault by a process of elimination. Could you get another computer onto your phone line for example?
Pick up your phone (when not on the internet) and see if you can hear any crackles or other noises etc etc

Not too much help I'm afraid, but there may be a few clues!

Skeletal

skeletal 21:49 20 Sep 2003

Aha! As if by magic. Less than 2 min after making my previous post...I lost the internet connection!!!

Skeletal (thinking of using carrier pigeons... faster than dial up!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?