Data transfer cable, which one?

tabula 02:05 18 Mar 2014

Hi folks, I'm hoping some of you could help me here. I'm a bit of a noob at all this.

I have got myself a new comp because my old one packed up, PSU went and something shorted on the Motherboard.

My new comp runs windows 8.1.

I'm looking for a data transfer kit but I'm not sure which one to get.

My old comp had two hard drives in it. The first one is: 250gb

Western Digital WD 2500JS. Interface: Sata. Model number: wd2500j8-75ncb3

And the second is Excelstor Jupiter 160gb SATA II.

Both look as if they have the same connections on them.

When I'm looking for Data transfer kits they say that they are compatible with all SATA drives and then in the next line they say "compatible with 2.5", 3.5" and 5" SATA drives"

Would they be ok with my two hard drive I mentioned above? And if not which Data Kit should I be looking for?

Thank you very much.

Alan

hastelloy 07:54 18 Mar 2014

These are 3.5" HDDs so yes that will work.

Are you aware that, whilst you will be able to transfer your data over, you won't be able to do the same with any software? You'll need to install these from the original discs or downloads.

tabula 09:23 18 Mar 2014

No, I wasn't aware about the software.

Bit of a hassle but thank you for your response. That has helped me a lot.

Alan

alanrwood 15:51 18 Mar 2014

What are you actually trying to achieve. Are you simply trying to transfer your programs over then it is not possible because each program writes settings and operating data to the registry files. That is why you need to reinstall every program. If you are simply trying to copy over your data to your new machine then you don't really need a transfer kit. Just install each drive into your new machine. They should be recognised and you can either copy the data over to your new drive or leave them fitted and use them as extra storage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?