Data Transfer

rawprawn 09:35 10 Mar 2008

My friends IBM Laptop motherboard has died, and he is going to buy a new Desktop and Laptop. He wants to transfer the files from his old Laptop HDD to one of his new computers. I know that we need a USB conversion connector, but if anyone has done this and can give me simple insructions and a link for the connector I would appreciate it.
I want a simple USB connection from the old laptop to the new computer, I don't want to have to go inside as this may well affect the warranty.

xania 09:44 10 Mar 2008

If you can connect the drive via USB, it works just like any other drive - you will have the option to view the files in Windows Explorer and you can then just drag and drop or cut and paste the files from the old drive to the new one.

rawprawn 09:52 10 Mar 2008

Yes thank you for that, I have been looking for a connector. I assume IDE (laptop) at one end and USB at the other but I haven't found one.Any thoughts?

wjrt 09:53 10 Mar 2008

something like this.
click here

rawprawn 10:01 10 Mar 2008

Thanks, yes. That looks the right thing, I assume you then just connect using a cable with a USB at each end?

xania 10:08 10 Mar 2008

Yes, you simply remove the HDD from the laptopinsert in the box and the supplied cables wil do the trick.

rawprawn 10:16 10 Mar 2008

Thanks for all your help.
rawprawn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017