Data retrieval from a Hard Disk

Dragonfyre 12:23 02 Mar 2007

I have found out that my Windows XP OS is corrupt, I have been advised to save all data from the Hard Drive, before attempting to restore to factory settings.
I dont have another PC, does anybody have any suggestions how I can do this?
Any advice will be much appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 02 Mar 2007

There may be no need to restore to factory settings just yet. Can you describe why you think your OS is corrupt it may be recoverable with all your data.

Dragonfyre 12:42 02 Mar 2007

Yesterday after a power cut over night (PC was off) I tried to restart the PC. I had problems then with the PC connecting to the BT Hub. So I turned off the PC, and then the Hub. After a while rebooted both Hub and PC. Hub came up ok, but the PC gave the error message " Unable to load Windows" It gave the usual choices of rebooting, Safe etc but when selecting any on these the XP splash screen came on for about three seconds and then the PC rebooted itself and started the cycle again. Mesh was called this morning and they say Windows is corrupt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 02 Mar 2007

Mesh are correct the symptoms are those to corrupt Windows system files.

Resetting to Factory settings WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA and updates, can you afford to do this? Do you have eveything backed up?
Resetting is the easiest option to cure the problem but at cost, PC will be back to the day you bought it.

Windows is repairable. Do you have or have access to , a XP CD?

Dragonfyre 13:21 02 Mar 2007

Myself ,no......but I have colleagues who have. How easy/complecated is a repair?

VoG II 13:22 02 Mar 2007
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 02 Mar 2007

As per the link suppied by VoG™

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Dragonfyre 13:49 02 Mar 2007

Thanks for that... seems straight forward enough, I will give it a go.

Dragonfyre 16:00 05 Mar 2007

All sorted, I cheated and got it done for me..but defo was Windows corrupted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?