data recovery programs

GuyR 10:27 27 Jan 2004

need to access a decent prgram asap if possible, ideally would like a free prog but any good progs would help.
partition magic has crashed during partitioning and now the disc is not acessible.
ta

Chegs ® 10:36 27 Jan 2004

Which OS,as XP has "Recovery Console" or "Repair" both of which will get your OS running without damaging data already on the hdd.

GuyR 12:48 27 Jan 2004

SORRY WINDOWS 98SE,
have allready posted for help ref. partition magic crashing, system will not boot into windows, just left with screen under dos saying boot file found on IDE-0, but no progress from there.
Have tried to put drive into another machine but comes back saying unrecognisable media eg partitions within hard drive.

Chegs ® 13:17 27 Jan 2004

Do you have a 98se startup floppy,it can be used to alter/extract files/folders via DOS,but I'm don't know the relevant commands to type.Can you get to the A:/ prompt,or even try C:/ prompt(if you can access a DOS screen,then try C: and see if it changes to C:/Windows)

Chegs ® 13:18 27 Jan 2004

There is also FDISK /MBR but I dont know if 98 recognises this command.

Lozzy 13:48 27 Jan 2004

click here Used this many times and its recovered 100% every time.. Down side is that you have to pay but it is well worth it to avoid loosing any valuable data..

Cheapest way is to make regular back ups..

Gemma 13:54 27 Jan 2004

I have used click here with good results. Pay and smile..........

GuyR 16:07 27 Jan 2004

ta everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017