Data recovery

Mev 17:11 27 Apr 2004

Anyone who has read my previouse threads will know i am having a nightmare time trying to upgrade my pc. As if all the technical issues i'm having weren't enough i go and make a monumental formatting blunder.

My pc has two hard drives. I was intending to install a new motherboard, processor etc. and decided i would need format the 'C' drive and reinstall the o/s once the new kit was in. I therefor backed up all the information i wanted to save to the 'D' drive. I used a boot disk to start the pc and formatted the 'C' drive. As deatiled in my other posts i had several complication (to say the least) and ended up having to preform the format again. Somehow through my medaling with fdisk and other things my 'D' drive became the 'C' drive, so when i type "format c:" it started to format the hard drive with all the backup info (lots of stuff i really didn't want to loose!!). I didn't realise at first, but when i did i turned the pc off in a fit of blind rage.

By this time it had already formatted 42% of the drive. When i look at it in fdisk it says it is all unallocated space, no file system or anything. Is there anything i can do to recover any of the data from this drive? Any applications or proceedures i can use? Please help me as I am having a computer based nightmare at the moment and am starting to think maybee i need to shun all things electronic and go back to pen and paper.

VoG II 17:17 27 Apr 2004

You could try click here - not sure if it would work in the circumstances you describe.

MichelleC 17:17 27 Apr 2004

Try pc inspector click here

Mev 18:11 28 Apr 2004

Thanks but neither of these products seem to support NTFS. They are both by the same developer and look very effective but they wont recover the lost data because my drive uses NTFS.

Anybody else know of any other apps.

AndySD 18:17 28 Apr 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?