data exectution prevention message

2020 09:47 14 Oct 2006

hi i have a very annoying problem i think has started to happen since i installed norton antiviris. everytime i try to open my documents, my pictures i get a messgae 'data execution prevention- microsoft windows to help protect your computer, windows has closed this program. so i'm not able to get anything opened. please advise what will resolve this.
many thanks

gudgulf 10:09 14 Oct 2006

It sounds like DEP has been switched on for all programs.

There should be an option on the popup box that will let you switch off DEP for those folders only.

If not or to check what the DEP setting is go to Start>My Computer.......right click that and select Properties>Advanced and then locate the Performance box and click the settings button.

Now select the Data Execution Prevention tab and check the "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" button.

2020 10:51 14 Oct 2006

thanks gudgulf
i have tried to do this but its the same when i try to open my computer, get message and then closes

gudgulf 11:00 14 Oct 2006

Can you get to System Restore and take the system back to before Norton was installed?

Or failing that uninstall Norton to rule out that as the cause.

2020 11:23 14 Oct 2006

i'll give that a go later. many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?