Data Advisor -- Help Please

Gigs 23:22 11 Feb 2003

I have just installed a small program off a free disc supplied with Pc Format magazine (I also get Pc Advisor) called Data Advisor.
It runs various checks on the hard drive including a virus check.
Everything was Ok untill it suddenly stated "Partition 1 passed the File Structure test but has minor errors" It then states 3 Orphaned Data Blocks.

The next and bigger worry came after the virus check. When it got to the end it came up with a huge list of things like the following:-
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DINDI.DLL : Error reading file Could not restore??
It then said that 426 viruses had been detected!!

Extremely alarmed I ran an immediate complete scan with my fully updated AVG anti virus and it came back clean.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please, should I be concerned.

Thanks in advance.

User-312386 23:34 11 Feb 2003

it sounds like a scaremongering programme here, i bet it has something like "upgrade" to the full edition to delete and repair the files

any problems with the PC before you ran this programme?

Can you e-mail the programme to me?

Gigs 23:45 11 Feb 2003

Thanks for that. It does mention something about the fact that they will recover data for you.

I have the odd freeze up but then I suppose most people do, but no other problems.

Pardon my ignorance madboy but do you just want the name of the program and how do I obtain your mail address.

User-312386 23:53 11 Feb 2003

click on the little envelope by my name

send me a message and i will e-mail you back with my e-mail address and then you can e-mail the programme to me

madboy33

User-312386 00:05 12 Feb 2003

has e-mailed me, i will post the results tommorow evening.

madboy33

Forum Editor 00:08 12 Feb 2003

emailing software to each other if you don't mind me saying so.

It's fraught with security risks, quite apart from the file size problem. Better to get the magazine I would have thought.

Many such programs habitually misrepresent the state of your computer, and for that reason I am not a fan of those "computer health check" applications. Computers are like cars - once you've driven one for a while you get to know all its little idiosyncrasies, and you can usually spot a problem a mile off.

User-312386 00:12 12 Feb 2003

its fine

i am ok here

madboy33

hugh-265156 00:14 12 Feb 2003

i was wondering.could the 426 virus be traces of code in agv?

Gigs 00:19 12 Feb 2003

No, I havn't emailed software, just the name and web address of the program.
What does the 'orphaned files' mean please?
Gigs

User-312386 21:35 12 Feb 2003

Just ignore it mate

I used it and it was a complete load of old twaddle(in lamens terms)

tell you what to do with it, put the diskette in A drive, right click on A drive and select Format

madboy33

Gigs 11:46 15 Feb 2003

Cheers madboy. Sorry for the delay in replying to you, havn't been online for a couple of days.

Thanks for your trouble.

Gigs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?