Data from an Access table to a new Excel workbook?

Diemmess 16:10 15 Jan 2007

How can I take data from an Access table and paste it into a new workbook/worksheet of Excel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know little enough of Access and much less even than that of Excel!

I have a particular completed table in Access from which all the data has long since been reported and published.
A friend who seems familiar with Excel though not Access was trying to teach me some basic Excel, and I challenged him to extract some rather complex data using Excel.

I don't seem to be able to transfer this table into Excel for him. If I copy the table from an open Access database and paste it into Excel it looks alright, but the fields which should be all numbers (0-3)are not seen as numerical fields.

This was a part of an official parish questionnaire five years ago, I was a little over confident with Access and couldn't extract someof the more complex fields where I stumbled over two many parameters.
A whizz-kid did it for me at the time using Excel, but he did it with such ill grace that I didn't dare ask him how he did it!

So it is just an an excercise now and part of my learning curve, but there must be a simple way to transfer just the contents of a large but simple table. It has 254 records each with a possible 197 fields

beynac 16:24 15 Jan 2007

Open the Access database and then the relevant table. Click on the File menu and select "Export..". Select "Microsoft Excel 97-2003" in the "Save as type" box and save the file. It should now open in Excel with all field names in the first row.

Diemmess 16:53 15 Jan 2007

Thank you beynac.

Dead simple once you know how!
Should have remembered the magic word EXPORT, it and its brother Import can work wonders in many applications.

beynac 17:15 15 Jan 2007

You're welcome! Actually, it probably would have been easier to "Import Data" into Excel. I only thought of this after I had posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?