Dat files and engine.

Kruschev 20:08 16 Feb 2004

I have some unwanted adware on my PC running XP Home. It was picked up by anti virus but they cannot be deleted by the programme. Contacting their helproom they suggest I update my DAT and engine files. How do I do this ???

VoG II 20:10 16 Feb 2004

Which anti-virus - McAfee? click here

Kruschev 20:13 16 Feb 2004

Yes McAfee

VoG II 20:15 16 Feb 2004

Check your version number. If it is VirusScan 6 or 7 you need the "Superdat" that is shown on the link that I posted above.

Kruschev 20:18 16 Feb 2004

I was having problems with pages being added to my favourites that wre to say not pleasant and I downloaded McAfee virus scan today and it picked them up. The version is not printed on the receipt. I presume it's the up to date on !!

VoG II 20:24 16 Feb 2004

Check in Help/About or similar.

Make sure that it is not "Virus Scan Online" - a subscription-based service that (should) update automatically. You should NOT install those files if that's what you've bought.

Although I'm a fan of McAfee it is not brilliant at spyware removal. Try Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

But you should update McAfee anyway to protect against the latest viruses.

Kruschev 20:30 16 Feb 2004

Guess what, I installed the subscription service, why is this no good, it claims it was up to date.

VoG II 20:56 16 Feb 2004

If you have what I think you have, there should be a red square with M in it near the system clock. Right click this, select Updates from the pop-up menu, then click the "check now" button"

Kruschev 22:05 16 Feb 2004

Done that it says that I am up to date. I have checked the files that it says are adware etc and it tells me to update the DAT engine, however I am not sure that I am allowed as it says when downloading that I need a prime support agreement to do so, any ideas. Sorry to be such a dimwit with this

VoG II 22:15 16 Feb 2004

No you're not a dimwit; software suppliers are the dimwits because they don't appreciate that all users do not have a PhD in Systems Engineering.

I do not know what a prime support agreement is and you will need to contact McAfee (again) to find out what this is.

Did you try Ad-aware and Spybot as above?

woodchip 22:18 16 Feb 2004

My guess at prime support agreement is!!!!££££££££££££££££

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?