dark stand by

Ben.s 16:13 10 Jan 2004

hello every1 i was wonderin if u could help me
see i just built my own computer and...well im runnin XP home and u know wen u go Start an click turn off....then u get the option 2 stand by or turn off or Restart...well i cant select Stand by. wen i was runnin win 98 origanilly i could stand by but now i cant....please help thanx

Big Elf 18:09 10 Jan 2004

I've just tried it on mine and nothing happens. I tried changing the various options in Control Panel, Power Options but nothing seems to work. Maybe it's a setting in the BIOS that does it?

hugh-265156 19:00 10 Jan 2004

try clicking start/run and type sfc /scannow and insert your xp cdrom disc when/if prompted(if yours came pre installed you wont be asked for this)this will find and replace any damaged or missing system files.

also try windows update click here

hugh-265156 19:04 10 Jan 2004

this applies to win 98 click here all i could find sorry.might work though.

Ben.s 22:36 10 Jan 2004

hey hugs...umm.are u sure that is right becouse it tried sfc in the Run field but..i tried to make it out it was wat looked to be..kinda like wen you go START ALL PROGRAMS ACESSORIES COMAND PROMPT..oh well i kinda hve a feeling that it might be a jumper on the mo brd
ok thanx

Trackrat 23:25 10 Jan 2004

Try this, control panel - performance & maintainence - power options - advanced.

hugh-265156 23:48 10 Jan 2004

standby is missing from the shutdown menu,not "when i press the power button" thats the way im reading it anyway.

Ben.s you can run sfc from the command prompt if you want.

start/run type cmd click ok

type sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc and before /)

did you try the microsoft help above and are you all up to date with windows updates?

Ben.s 09:32 11 Jan 2004

umm huggs uh it doesnt do much it scans for protection over files im not sure wat gd tht will be??
yeah huggs is right the standby option is missin from the when i press my power button...
there is only....
shut down
do nothing
ask me what i want to do
oh well thanx alot anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?