Dark laptop screen

wotan 19:07 11 Nov 2008

Good Evening, My wife has tried to boot up her Fujitsu Seimens Amilo Pro 2010 laptop and the screen is not lighting up. If you hold the laptop in a bright light you can just make out what is being displayed, so we know that the system is booting up. However, the dark screen makes it unuseable. The computer was working fine last night and was shut down correctly so I am guessing that there is either a connection fault from the computer base to the screen or the screen is knackered. Any suggestions welcome,also if the screen is shot, is it worth getting a replacement or should she go for a new laptop.
Regards,
wotan

MAT ALAN 19:16 11 Nov 2008

laptop screens are not self illuminated they rely on a backlight which runs in conjunction with an inverter, one of these has blown....

click here

click here

the links show you what they look like...

ashdav 19:23 11 Nov 2008

Fixed exactly the same fault on the same model of computer last week.
It was the inverter.Common fault with Fujitsu apparently.
It's in the lid near the hinges.
Really easy to replace as it's connected by two plugs,no soldering involved.Remove all the screws around the screen (there are some under the rubber bungs) and click the plastic frame out.
Got a new inverter from click here
Not particularly cheap at nearly £77 all in but it's cheaper than a new laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 11 Nov 2008

an invertor replacement is one of te cheapest repairs on a laptop.

click here is highly recommend by other forum users (I usually do my own repairs)

wotan 19:47 11 Nov 2008

Many thanks to Mat Alan, Ashdav and Fruitbat.
I will give your suggestions a try. . I will probably opt for fitting the new partand will let you know how I do. Meanwhile I will mark this string as resolved.
Thanks again for taking the time to help.
Wotan.

ashdav 19:51 11 Nov 2008

Forgot to add that I ordered the inverter at 3.00pm an Monday and it came in the post next morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017