Darik's Boot and Nuke + extra memory ?

keewaa 22:42 06 May 2006

Hi

I've just run darik's boot and nuke to erase old data and win 98. Now I'm trying to run a live CD puppy linux, but want to add an extra memory first. The machine is a 700 MHz AMD Duron with 128MB DDR266, I added 128 DDR333, but the computer has failed to recognise the extra memory. Has Dariks boot and nuke erased something that would recognise the extra memory or do I need to do something in BIOS or CMOS ? click here
Thanks.

phono 22:50 06 May 2006

The hard drive has nothing to do with the amount of memory recognised, that is down to the BIOS.

Check that the new RAM is seated correctly, try swapping the modules around as well, I take it both modules are the same, that is either both non parity or both parity.

Also try resetting the CMOS if you still have no luck.

keewaa 22:51 06 May 2006

I'm sure everything else in the new memory is correct, but are there any programs I can put on a floppy to check the spec of the original memory, despite it being written on it!

Totally-braindead 22:52 06 May 2006

I would try the new memory on its own and see what happens. Either the memory slot on the motherboard may be faulty or perhapr the RAM you have is nor compatible with the motherboard. Or perhaps its not properly in the slot.

phono 22:56 06 May 2006

Good advice.

keewaa

If there is a setting in the BIOS to allow memory speed to be set automatically by SPD (Serial Presence Detect) then try enabling it to see if that helps, only useful if the RAM modules have a SPD chip attached.

keewaa 23:07 06 May 2006

Thanks ... tried and here's what happens:
Both memory cards work when used on their own in slot 1, neither work when used on their own in slot 2 (however I think this is to be expected as slot 1 should not be empty?), when both in only whatever is in slot 1 registers.

How do I reset the CMOS and could this fix it?

keewaa 23:20 06 May 2006

DRAM clock and DRAM timing are and were set to SPD. I'm not sure if the new memory has an SPD chip - how can I check?

The options for DRAM clock are PC133 or PC100 or SPD but the original memory is PC266 DDR ?

The options for DRAM timing are SPD or manual.

keewaa 23:29 06 May 2006

Since the new memory works on it's own it must have an SPD chip. Is there a setting in BIOS to disable slot 2?

ed-0 23:32 06 May 2006

" DRAM clock and DRAM timing are and were set to SPD. I'm not sure if the new memory has an SPD chip - how can I check?"

look for a small chip at the end of the memory module. It will be half the size of the ram chips. This is the eeprom chip and should hold the spd.

"The options for DRAM clock are PC133 or PC100 or SPD but the original memory is PC266 DDR ?

The options for DRAM timing are SPD or manual."

it looks as if your motherboard can take either sdram or ddram. It may be worth posting the make and model of the motherboard and also if your ram chips are single sided or double sided. there may be limitations to add extra memory.

ed-0 23:41 06 May 2006

Download cpu-z click here

post the motherboard make and model. Also post the full spec's of the memory modules.

phono 01:03 07 May 2006

Sound advice on both posts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone