dangers in moving from multi monitor to single

bigpeta 16:27 27 Oct 2010

a while ago i posted a problem with programmes misbehaving on a dual monitor setup. despite some helpful answers i was unable to resolve the problems. So i gathered the penies together and replaced the 2 15" screens with a single 24".
when i later ran certain programmes and selected options displaying a dialogue box, the box was not on screen. Yet hitting the enter key usually returned control to the prog, thus proving it was being displayed.
Then i remembered that i often dragged dialogue boxes to my second screen if i needed to see the prog behind it.
Re-plugging a second monitor and setting it as before showed the dialogue box off to the phantom screen.
I spent a lot of time correcting previous dialogue box moves before i had all progs running correctly.
So be warned if you try the same move and find you have lost dialogues.

bremner 16:32 27 Oct 2010

I think you may find that you have the "extend desktop" option still on in your display properties.

bigpeta 16:27 02 Nov 2010

bremner - thanks for the suggestion but no that was not the problem.
basically most progs dont seem to be able to handle multi monitor

woody 16:42 02 Nov 2010

I have three (26") screens on my Vista64 setup.
I can switch off two and the icons are not displayed on the middle (ex desk) - thats how i like it.
If you only want one screen set the system as single screen.
I may use diff programs to you but the only problem i have experienced with multi screens is some programs use diff resolutions to my normal set up and they over ride my resolutions.
Now you have a larger screen for the main/middle - why not use the others as well?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?