Dangerous experiments

Ray5776 23:18 21 Mar 2006

Have an old AMD 1.2 that I use to watch TV mainly and to play around with things that I dont want to do on my main Pc or my sons now that I finally have them working properly.
I.E. I use it to play around with and
(Experiment) so that I dont do any harm to the main ones.
It was working fine,XP pro basic no sp`s, no internet
no network, no AV or firewall as it is a stand alone machine.
It has integral drive caddy as well as the internal HDD. I put an old 20g drive into the caddy drive with the intention of formatting it, this did not work for whatever reason so I shut down and removed it.
Now wont boot from original internal Hdd.
"Searching for boot record from IDE-0..OK"
then lines of hyrosomethings (Symbols and characters that are not on a keyboard and cant be understood)

any ideas for an easy fix please

ray

woodchip 23:26 21 Mar 2006

Yes you have upset the BIOS. When you load a Hard Drive into a Old comp you have to go into BIOS and Auto Detect the Drive or it to work, also should be set to LBA if it as it in BIOS

Ray5776 23:59 21 Mar 2006

Not quite sure what you mean here woodchip, I have removed the drive I was trying to format and now only want to boot from the original internal HDD.
There are no options in BIOS for LBA, I have set BIOS
Floppy/cdrom/IDE1/try other devices.

ray

ACOLYTE 00:25 22 Mar 2006

Does the bios have auto detect? it may well find the hard drive on its own,then set the first boot option to what it tells you it found it on i.e:IDE0/1.

Ray5776 11:00 22 Mar 2006

Auto detect finds the drive OK but instead of continuing to boot a message appears on the screen that is totaly unreadable i.e. symbols not letters.

woodchip 11:50 22 Mar 2006

That sounds like you loaded a Virus

Ray5776 12:02 22 Mar 2006

That sounds likely, it could well have been on the HDD I put in the caddy. I should have thought of that in hindsight.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

ray

ACOLYTE 14:00 22 Mar 2006

I think you could try setting it up as slave in another pc,and then scanning the drive with your AV,and format if needed.Im not to sure what you did in the first place,did you take out the original hard drive and replace with the old one?
or set it as slave and leave the original in?

Ray5776 14:31 22 Mar 2006

Thanks ACOLYTE am currently re_installing XP after formatting
the drive.

terryf 14:45 22 Mar 2006

try downloading the latest version of vcleaner from AVG to a floppy, rename it to anything.exe and re-boot t safe mode and double-click on the file on the floppy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires